Dr. Jeremy L. Hixson
Dr. Jeremy L. Hixson grew up moving around the country every three to four years until, at the age of 12, his family moved to a small town in the San Francisco Bay area. These moves enabled Dr. Hixson to experience many different ways of life and see much of the country’s historical sites and national parks. His mother and father are hardworking people who taught him the importance of education and hard work, and they helped him develop an intense love for anything outdoors.
In 1996, Dr. Hixson served a two-year LDS mission in Düsseldorf, Germany, where he learned to speak fluent German. After his mission, Jeremy attended Brigham Young University-Idaho, where he fell in love with his now wife, Sarah. He completed his bachelor’s degree in biology at California State University-Sacramento. Just prior to dental school, Dr. Hixson traveled to the Galapagos Islands of Ecuador to provide dental services with a large group of other pre-dental students. This experience instilled a desire to serve and give back to those in need for the rest of his life.
Dr. Hixson’s education and experience thereafter includes:
- Graduated from the University of Nevada-Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine in 2009.
- Completed a two-week externship at a large trauma center during his last year in dental school. Jeremy then fell in love with oral surgery and decided to pursue that specialty.
- Completed a busy one-year internship at University of Texas-Southwestern’s well-known Parkland hospital.
- Was accepted into a four-year Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery residency at Georgia Regents University in Augusta, Georgia. Dr. Hixson was extremely excited to match into this specific program because of the wide variety of procedures performed by the attending surgeons in Georgia, which would enable him to be a more well-rounded surgeon.
- Sat on the Head & Neck Tumor Board at Georgia Regents University for three years and felt great satisfaction helping reconstruct many persons after extensive cancer removal surgeries.
- Became a course instructor for conscious sedation in the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery department.
- Was a lecturer in the Periodontics department on emergency protocols in sedation, and was often called by anesthesia department at the hospital during late nights to come “run” a room when traumas outnumbered anesthesia residents.
He is currently American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery eligible. Dr. Hixson has completed advanced specialty training and successfully finished his written (qualifying board) exam, and he will be taking the oral boards, the final step, towards becoming a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery in February of 2016. Dr. Hixson is certified in Basic Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support, and Advanced Trauma Life Support.
Jeremy and Sarah Hixson have four children: three boys and one girl. Their family loves to watch movies, play games, camp, fish, hunt, ride mountain bikes, and hike. Their two older boys enjoy baseball and martial arts, while their daughter loves gymnastics and playing soccer.